The name Campden or Camperdene is believed to be a Saxon name meaning valley with fields, a written reference to Campden in the Domesday Book (1085), records that before the Norman conquest the manor of Camperdene had been held by King Harold.
By the early 13th century, the market area was being called 'Cepynge Caumpedene' (or 'Market Campden'). The word Chipping means market.
Chipping Campden established itself as a busy wooltraders town in the 14th century. Wool from Cotswold Sheep, grazed on the surrounding farmland, was graded, sold and transported to London.