The Banqueting House
In 1613, the newly enriched Sir Baptist Hicks began work on a house in Chipping Campden. It was a noble house in the latest fashion, with elaborate gardens. Thirty-two years later it was destroyed, wantonly, by the Royalists, as they withdrew from the town.
Only a shell was left, now shrunk to a single fragment, but other buildings escaped the fire and are still there, together with the raised walks of the garden. These buildings (East Banqueting House and West Banqueting House & Almonry) are available as Landmarks. Open days for the buildings and site are held on eight days a year. The site only is open on 22 days a year.
The St. James cemetary is in the foreground